Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Don't Let the Big Tent Fool You...

This week I had the opportunity to see The Cirque Du Soleil performance of Amaluna in Minneapolis, Minnesota.  Most people think that the Cirque Du Soleil shows are just another circus act.  Don't let the circus tent fool you, although it may look like it from the outside this is far from your average circus act.  

Once inside this tent it feels like you are transported to a wondrous place filled with beautiful scenery and costumes.  The show will not only amaze you with what these performers can do but fill you with joy at getting to experience it.  Every show has a different story that it tells and each one explores different themes like power, femininity, identity, and coming of age.  The story is told through actors, dancers, singers, performers, and most importantly the acrobats.  Believe me when I say that the acrobatic performances in these shows is nothing like I have ever seen before.  I went to see the circus many times when I was a child and loved every minute of it.  When saw my first Cirque Du Soleil show, Kooza, I didn't know what to think, I just knew that what I saw was spectacular, like nothing I had ever seen before, and I wanted to see it again. 

Here is a video to show you some of the splender that happens at a Cirque show, but remember it is nothing like the real life experience.  



After I saw the show I was completely entranced by it so I did what a lot of people would do and went to google and youtube to see if I could watch or find out more.  I came across a documentary on youtube that explores the audition process to be involved in Cirque Du Soleil.  It was a fantastic way to spend forty five minutes and I learned so much.  I had a general idea of what people probably had to go through and what they were expected to do but to see the grueling process and learn that people have to be able to do it all and be the best of the best it was entertaining and inspiring. 

 


I wanted to share my thoughts about these shows because although a lot of people wouldn't categorize it as Performing Arts, it is Performing Arts, and its at its best.  

-PerformingArtsPatron

No comments:

Post a Comment